Sunday 27 January 2013

Warpaint (or because I'm worth it)



Recent trips away have prompted me to think about the time, money and effort I put into pampering - and why I do it.
 
In my little wheelie case for a mere two nights away, beyond the basics to wash and to clean my teeth were products to buff, defuzz and moisturise my skin, put make-up on in the morning, remove it in the evening and things to make me smell nice too. Don't tell anyone but my hair is naturally curly, meaning if I don't want to look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards I need to trudge with me the tools needed to style it into straight submission.
 
To find out more about this very important issue I conducted a wholly unscientific survey of my friends, asking them why they primp and preen themselves. Their candour was appreciated and reflected diverse results. While there were different motivations, the common theme was that making an effort meant you projected a better image to others. As professionals, it's important to make it look like we care as like it or not, it's all part of the package. Of course, attracting the opposite (or the same) sex is a factor: whether or not you're looking to nab someone, feeling attractive and getting that second glance is always a perk. Perhaps that's the nub of it, as one of my friends observed: spending those few extra minutes in the morning making yourself feel your best helps you radiate confidence to the outside world.
 
I haven't forgotten I'd promised to share my own motivations for preening. I'd never describe myself as high maintenance but given the myriad products described above, I guess I'm further along the scale than I thought. Ultimately, it makes me feel better if I put in a bit of effort towards looking my best. I mainly do it for me, but I would be lying if I didn't admit I was trying to project a positive image of myself. I've mentioned above that my hair needs beating into submission and that takes most of my time in the morning. A bit of make-up makes me feel and look alive, which is important because unless I'm on holiday, I often don't get enough sleep (who does?). However, leaving the house barefaced isn't the end of the world for me. Something I don't do is preen before a gym workout like I've seen other women in the changing rooms do (what's that all about?), but I still have a bulging shower bag. 

Ok...I've resisted this long: it's because I'm worth it.
 

Thank you to everyone for your feedback on my recent blogs, most of which has been received via every medium but the comments section. I don't know what's wrong with it - the fault seems to be something tedious relating to browsers, or perhaps just the mood it's in. 

Anyway, should you want to persist here's a couple of tips: you don't need to log in to leave a comment and IE seems to work best. 

Until the next time... 
 


4 comments:

  1. I am a woman who has always resisted the whole primping and priming which is considered a women’s morning routine. When I was growing up on a farm, I was very much a tom-boy and hated the thought of all the waste of time that I was felt expected of all women. As others developed complex routines I was left in the dark about the need for it all. While I have never been one of the popular girls, it was another reason they saw to look down on me. After many a year of that and other things in life, I went through a very dark time but was very fortunate in that when I was in my darkest hole a kind and gentle man came into my life and fell in love with me in my un-make-upped state. With love and care he help me realize that I had no need to worry or feel the pressure of all the ads in our society. As such I am now a happy, confident (mostly) woman who on special occasions will get all doled up with make-up and fancy hair styles, but for my everyday life running around after my husband and lovely 3 year old son, I am beautiful in my own skin. This was brought home to me just this weekend as we had my mother in law stay a few nights with us and each morning we had to wait for some time as she went through her routine of make-up and all. It made me feel good to think of all the time I have with those I love rather than bottles in the bathroom. Each of us is different and I ask you all to think, could you spend one day enjoying the beauty of your skin, hair and body and see how the beauty is in how the blemishes make you unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. That's quite a challenge you've presented - but you're quite right that it's better to spend time with those with those you love, or doing things you love, rather than putting on the slap.

      Delete
  2. I have crazy dark circles under my eyes and uneven toned and slightly scarred skin on my face, so my make-up is an essential for me, especially if I am going out networking for my business. I feel I look very ill and unappealing when I am barefaced, and I would hate to show up looking dull or unhealthy to one of these events, because people are so quick to judge. Everyone may say that you "mustn't judge a book by its cover", but in this age of fast moving lifestyles, where everyone has so many more duties, soooo little time, and so many of our relationships are conducted online (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram, anyone?!), I think that how you look is the first thing people use to judge you. Sad in many ways, but what can you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Everyone has at least one thing they don't like about their appearance. I feel that being open about that can help us appreciate that underneath the make-up, we all have the same insecurities. You're right, it is sad that so many of us are too quick to judge by appearances, as we are more than what we may seem outwardly - but that's a topic for a whole other blog!

      Delete

I hope you enjoy what you've read. Comments are welcome.